The Canadian Mental Health Association/Peel Branch is recruiting for a Community
Support Worker to work with clients of the Mental Health & Justice Services Program and
provide discharge planning services to persons with a serious mental illness who are in
custody. The worker will assist in the reintegration/integration of recently released offenders into
their home community or community of choice.
This is a full time permanent position of 37.5 hours per week. The position reports to the Manager, Mental Health and Justice Services and is located at 601-7700 Hurontario Street in Brampton.
Salary Band: $49,500 - $59, 500 per year
- To engage with and provide a needs assessment of mentally ill offenders.
- To attend regular case conferences at the correctional institutions as required.
- To conduct case conferences/consultation with treatment providers, including physicians, other community organizations and other significant persons, as deemed appropriate.
- To assist mentally ill offenders and the community in establishing release plans.
- To refer and link clients to appropriate services and respectfully advocate on their behalf when appropriate.
- To communicate the release plan to service providers in the clients’ community.
- To provide education to the community agencies and institutions regarding mental health discharge planning services.
- In collaboration with institutional staff develop relevant policies and procedures for the discharge planning services.
- To complete and maintain the appropriate documentation required for OCANS and CRMS records.
- To attend and actively participate in all scheduled MHJS team meetings as appropriate.
- To establish and maintain working relationships with Institutional Social Workers, Probation Officers, Consulting Psychiatrists, Institutional Personnel, community agencies and schedule 1 hospitals.
- To participate in organizational initiatives as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor of Social Work or related university degree required.
- At least 3 years of relevant case management experience is required in a community mental health setting.
- Some experience required working with clients in the Criminal Justice System.
- Working knowledge of the Forensic Mental Health System in Ontario, Criminal Justice System and Recovery principles.
- Demonstrated ability to perform risk, need and psychosocial assessments.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in a multi-task environment and to prioritize tasks in a manner that meets client needs and program objectives.
- Ability to communicate in both verbal and written form with professionals from a variety of disciplines (i.e. medical, legal).
- Knowledge of OCANs and Client Records Management Systems is an asset.
- A satisfactory Criminal Records check, valid “G” driver’s license, relevant insurance and access to a vehicle.
- Current first aid/CPR certification required.
- Ability to speak French or a second language reflective of the diversity of Region of Peel is an asset.
CMHA/Peel provides a supportive work environment with a competitive salary, plenty of training opportunities, excellent benefits and an emphasis on work-life balance. For a list of our Total Rewards, please visit the Careers page on our website. https://cmhapeeldufferin.ca/
CMHA/Peel is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
CMHA/Peel will make every effort to accommodate any needs of candidates through the hiring process, under the Human rights Code and AODA. If you require any accommodations during the hiring and selection process, please inform Human Resources.